We are living in a digital world and we need passwords to operate almost everything right from e-mail to a bank account. But due to make things easier for them, people usually choose simpler passwords and use one password in most of the places. Recent reports revealed the top 10 passwords, which are being used by millions of people. Even the passwords they chose are very easy and convenient to remember. But here is a catch. These convenient passwords are very easy to crack for hackers, which will give them easy access to your personal and important data.
On the other hand, a complex password, which would have a combination of alphabets, numbers, and symbols, would be able to protect your online presence from the hackers.
Most of the cyber friendly people know about the consequences of easy passwords, but they still use it, especially for visiting websites and social media accounts. But they forget that there are dangers and risks attached to this step. They are not ready to believe that this little carelessness could harm them big time.
They also don’t even understand that if the hacker could hack their online shopping website, it would be a big financial loss for them.
A small mistake
Even if the users make difficult passwords, they usually save it somewhere in their phone or desktop, generally in one folder, which also gives the hacker easy access to all the passwords. This mistake has been usually done by the oldies.
What data says?
- According to a report by a website wearesocial, there are around 4.4 billion internet users out of which around 3.5 billion are social media users. And out of which 3.3 billion people use social media on their mobile sets.
- Another recent survey by the United Kingdom’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) has revealed that around 23.2 million users have “123456” as their passwords. This survey was based on the public databases of breached accounts to see which kind of words or strings or phrases people use for their passwords.
- After “123456” password, the second most common password used is “123456789”. This password was used by around 7.7 million users. Apart from these two passwords, people use easy words like password, qwerty, etc. The survey suggests that around 3.8 million users have using “qwerty” as password which is the first six letters on the top row of a standard keyboard.
- The report also found out that most common name which has used as a password is Ashley, followed by Michael, Daniel, Jessica, and Charlie.
- In the report, it was found that 42 percent of people expected to lose money to online fraud and only 15 percent said they felt confident that they knew enough to protect themselves online.
The top ten used passwords
Following is the list of top 10 most commonly used passwords along with the number of internet users who have used them. Have a glance of it, and if you use any of these as your password, then change it as soon as possible.
- 123456 (23.2mn)
- 123456789 (7.7mm)
- qwerty (3.8mn)
- password (3.6mn)
- 1111111 (3.1mn)
- 12345678 (2.9mn)
- abc123 (2.8mn)
- 1234567 (2.5mn)
- password1 (2.4mn)
- 12345 (2.3mn)
How to protect your password?
You can start to follow simple guidelines for protecting yourself against cyber attacks.
- One of the important things is that the Password needs to be strong, and they should also be unique across each of your different accounts.
- One can also use a Password Manager which encrypts and stores the passwords in a secure vault that is protected by a master password. The master password is the only password you need to remember.
- If you don’t want to use that, you can use alpha-numeric passwords. You can also use a long password which can be the key factors in keeping you safe.